Scientist’s claim 60% of what is put on the skin is absorbed into the body’
So many of us think about what we put into our bodies when we eat, but have you ever thought about what you put on your skin? The Ibis world report 2012 states that the skincare industry in Australia has had an annual growth for the last financial year of 1.9%, one of the only industries unlike retail itself in which experienced a market decline of -0.7%. But my question is how many of you actually think about the ingredients within the skincare products you use?
Unfortunately, unlike food in Australia, retailers do not have to heavily brand their products if they contain harmful substances, which so many of them do. The other disappointing element of Australia’s skin care industry is that so many brands now label themselves as ‘natural’, ‘eco’ or ‘green’ and yet they are still full of harmful chemicals like parabens.
Take Parabens for example, they are an extremely common chemical family primarily used in skincare, haircare and many pharmaceutical produced, because they are a cost effective preservative. However, it is these parabens they have been found in extremely low concentrations in breast cancer tumors. Parabens have also displayed the ability to slightly mimic estrogen, a hormone known to play a role in the development of breast cancer (Wikipedia 2012). Parabens are also claimed to be the cause or stimulus for many individuals who suffer from dermatitis.
So many of us now consciously choose not to eat, preservative, chemical based foods, as we just know these ingredients are not good for us. What I now ask is why not think about the other things you place into your bodies. It is claimed that 60% of what you place on your skin is absorbed into the blood stream, this is where the chemical’s of you food end up and this is how they are pumped around the body and end up causing harm.
Be aware of some of the most harmful chemicals now found in skincare products.
1) Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Paraben
Some combination of these synthetic ingredients are in almost every skin and hair product made today, apart from those that are certified organic. These chemicals are widely known to be highly toxic, but are extremely cheap and effective in preserving the skincare product.
2) Propylene Glycol is a Petroleum by-product is a synthetic ingredient used as a humectant (to increase skin hydration and product absorption into the skin. This same product is also used as an industrial anti-freeze to de-ice airplanes! This toxic ingredient causes many allergic reactions. Research data states that through skin contact it can cause “liver abnormalities and kidney damage.”
3) DMDM Hydantoin – Yet another preservative, a Petro-chemical used as an anti-freeze in cars. Studies have found that use of this product within skincare will enviably increase the risk of cosmetic dermatitis.
4) Sodium Laurel Sulfate a highly toxic synthetic substance (used for foaming abilities) found to cause urinary tract, bladder and kidney infections, genital disorders, eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions.
5) Synthetic Colors – Labeled as FD&C or D&C often standing for Doctrine or Covents, followed by a color number such as FD&C Red 6. These highly toxic substances are usually coal-tar based and have been linked as cancer causing agents.
6) Synthetic Fragrances – Most Products will simply say “Fragrance” which means any combination of the cheapest 200 synthetic, toxic ingredients the company can find. Causes headaches, dizziness, rashes, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritations etc.
7) Triethanolamine (TEA)/Diethanolamine (DEA) – Used to adjust the pH balance, but toxic and causes eye problems, and dryness of skin and hair. DEA has been linked with kidney, liver and other organ damage according to several government-funded researches. One study found that the topical application of DEA in rodents resulted in anemia, kidney degeneration, and nerve damage to the brain and spinal cord. Even more disturbing was that several animals died before the study ended. Approximately 200 million pounds of DEA are produced annually in the U.S., most of which goes into personal care products.
8) Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea – Used as a preservative, but a primary cause of contact dermatitis. You might see these toxic chemicals under the names Germall II and Germall 115, which release formaldehyde at just over 10°.
9) Behentrimonium Chloride – Toxic ammonia compound. Ingestion can be fatal. Concentrations as low as 0.1% can be irritating to the eyes and cause necrosis (tissue death) of mucus membranes.
10) Titanium, Zirconium, Benzalkonium, Bismuth, Antimony (*1), Barium (*2), Aluminum, Tin, Chromium, Benzene & PCBs. –According to Dr. Hulda Reghi Clark, all of these ingredients are extremely dangerous. *1 – Breast cancer cases show Titanium, Zirconium, Benzalkonium, Bismuth, Antimony, and Aluminum accumulation in the breast. *2 -Barium is described in the Merck Index as a “caution”. ALL water or acid soluble Barium is POISONOUS! 10ed. P.139, 1983.