Scientist’s claim 60% of what is put on the skin is absorbed into the body’
So many of us think about what we put into our bodies when we eat, but have you ever thought about what you put on your skin? The Ibis world report 2012 states that the skincare industry in Australia has had an annual growth for the last financial year of 1.9%, one of the only industries unlike retail itself in which experienced a market decline of -0.7%. But my question is how many of you actually think about the ingredients within the skincare products you use?
Unfortunately, unlike food in Australia, retailers do not have to heavily brand their products if they contain harmful substances, which so many of them do. The other disappointing element of Australia’s skin care industry is that so many brands now label themselves as ‘natural’, ‘eco’ or ‘green’ and yet they are still full of harmful chemicals like parabens.
Take Parabens for example, they are an extremely common chemical family primarily used in skincare, haircare and many pharmaceutical produced, because they are a cost effective preservative. However, it is these parabens they have been found in extremely low concentrations in breast cancer tumors. Parabens have also displayed the ability to slightly mimic estrogen, a hormone known to play a role in the development of breast cancer (Wikipedia 2012). Parabens are also claimed to be the cause or stimulus for many individuals who suffer from dermatitis.
So many of us now consciously choose not to eat, preservative, chemical based foods, as we just know these ingredients are not good for us. What I now ask is why not think about the other things you place into your bodies. It is claimed that 60% of what you place on your skin is absorbed into the blood stream, this is where the chemical’s of you food end up and this is how they are pumped around the body and end up causing harm.
Be aware of some of the most harmful chemicals now found in skincare products.
1) Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Paraben
Some combination of these synthetic ingredients are in almost every skin and hair product made today, apart from those that are certified organic. These chemicals are widely known to be highly toxic, but are extremely cheap and effective in preserving the skincare product.
2) Propylene Glycol is a Petroleum by-product is a synthetic ingredient used as a humectant (to increase skin hydration and product absorption into the skin. This same product is also used as an industrial anti-freeze to de-ice airplanes! This toxic ingredient causes many allergic reactions. Research data states that through skin contact it can cause “liver abnormalities and kidney damage.”
3) DMDM Hydantoin – Yet another preservative, a Petro-chemical used as an anti-freeze in cars. Studies have found that use of this product within skincare will enviably increase the risk of cosmetic dermatitis.
4) Sodium Laurel Sulfate a highly toxic synthetic substance (used for foaming abilities) found to cause urinary tract, bladder and kidney infections, genital disorders, eye irritations, skin rashes, hair loss, scalp scurf similar to dandruff, and allergic reactions.
5) Synthetic Colors – Labeled as FD&C or D&C often standing for Doctrine or Covents, followed by a color number such as FD&C Red 6. These highly toxic substances are usually coal-tar based and have been linked as cancer causing agents.
6) Synthetic Fragrances – Most Products will simply say “Fragrance” which means any combination of the cheapest 200 synthetic, toxic ingredients the company can find. Causes headaches, dizziness, rashes, violent coughing, vomiting, skin irritations etc.
7) Triethanolamine (TEA)/Diethanolamine (DEA) – Used to adjust the pH balance, but toxic and causes eye problems, and dryness of skin and hair. DEA has been linked with kidney, liver and other organ damage according to several government-funded researches. One study found that the topical application of DEA in rodents resulted in anemia, kidney degeneration, and nerve damage to the brain and spinal cord. Even more disturbing was that several animals died before the study ended. Approximately 200 million pounds of DEA are produced annually in the U.S., most of which goes into personal care products.
8) Imidazolidinyl Urea and Diazolidinyl Urea – Used as a preservative, but a primary cause of contact dermatitis. You might see these toxic chemicals under the names Germall II and Germall 115, which release formaldehyde at just over 10°.
9) Behentrimonium Chloride – Toxic ammonia compound. Ingestion can be fatal. Concentrations as low as 0.1% can be irritating to the eyes and cause necrosis (tissue death) of mucus membranes.
10) Titanium, Zirconium, Benzalkonium, Bismuth, Antimony (*1), Barium (*2), Aluminum, Tin, Chromium, Benzene & PCBs. –According to Dr. Hulda Reghi Clark, all of these ingredients are extremely dangerous. *1 – Breast cancer cases show Titanium, Zirconium, Benzalkonium, Bismuth, Antimony, and Aluminum accumulation in the breast. *2 -Barium is described in the Merck Index as a “caution”. ALL water or acid soluble Barium is POISONOUS! 10ed. P.139, 1983.
For a unique escape like no other in Northern NSW, you cannot go past Halcyon House, Cabarita Beach. Just a short drive from the Gold Coast and Byron Bay, Halcyon House is the tucked just back by the ocean, resting peacefully amongst its stunning manicured gardens as your head into Cabarita.
Halcyon House is the perfect getaway couples, families or corporates. Each of their rooms have been personally styled so you are sure to find something unique at every turn. Arrive early afternoon and head to Paper Daisy – Halcyon House’s gorgeous restaurant for a welcoming Aperol Spritz – their signature cocktail and take in the sun while lazing by the pool. If the ocean is your thing, drop those bags and head down to Cabarita Beach for an afternoon walk along the sand. You cannot go past the spectacular sunsets over the water’s edge!
After a spectacularly restful nights sleep, get up early and enjoy the many activities in and around the area like yoga, surfing or just take a leisurely stroll into Cabarita itself and browse the many shops along the strip – not forgetting to come and say hi to us at You and Bamboo – Y&B Co for an organic treat and morning coffee!
If you are heading to Northern NSW, Halcyon House at Cabarita Beach will be the perfect choice. Take a look at their website and their gallery – you know you want to!
Western societies are just starting to realise the benefits of bamboo clothing from its anti bacterial and anti fungal qualities which assists those with sensitive skin, making bamboo the perfect choice for socks, underwear, T-shirts, singlets and even babies clothing. It won’t irritate the skin, is super soft and a pleasure to wear. Bamboo is a highly versatile and sustainable material that can be used in manufacturing and construction, food and now all the way through to clothing.
Bamboo itself can grow up to a metre a day, does not need much water to grow and can be done with the use of very few pesticides as bamboo is naturally pest resistant. Bamboo sequesters more carbon than trees from the atmosphere making it a much more sustainable to grow than cotton.
Bamboo’s very unique anti-bacterial nature is an antimicrobial bio-agent called bamboo kun which is found naturally in the fibre. This kun makes bamboo a naturally antibacterial, anti fungal and odour resistant fibre which makes it a great choice for all the family. Bamboo hypoallergenic, is breathable and thermo regulating allowing you to keep the perfect temperature throughout the seasons.
Bamboo is completely natural and is biodegradable which when compared to plastic, will damage our eco systems, making it by far the better choice. As it is a natural fibre, it will break down naturally with ease.
Once you experience the luxurious texture of bamboo fibres against your skin on a daily basis, you will realise the benefits of bamboo clothing for the whole family
You and Bamboo – Y&B Co stocks and creates a wide range of mens and womens underwear, socks, singlets and accessories including technology items like USB sticks, earrings, scarfs and more.
Our philosophy is simple, be kind the earth and the earth will be kind to us.
Take a look at our bamboo clothing here online or visit us at our Cabarita Beach store in Northern NSW.
Aussies love their grilled barbecues, sausages and meaty burgers, but who says that you need to eat boring tasting dishes if you want to try going organic for a change? There are loads of healthy and delicious organic ingredients around that you add to your recipe to make your dishes both nutritious and equally coluorful and tasty. You can even do organic desserts that you can whip up on a whim if you are short on time but want to serve tasty treats to your dinner guests.
Black beluga lentils salad
Some people like to complete their meal course by having an appetiser first and when we mention an appetiser, we usually think of a soup or salad. Your bowl of salad can be completely organic especially if you keep the ingredients simple, tasty and all natural.
To make this delicious lentil salad, put your pumpkin and beetroot in a bowl with three teaspoons of oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Toss your vegetables and place them on a tray, and bake them in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until it softens or turns brown. Meanwhile mix and shake up balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard and one tablespoon of oil in a jar, then drissle over your cooked lentils. Next wash your rocket and spread it on your serving plate. Place the roasted pumpkin, beetroot, lentils and avocado on top of the lettuce and sprinkle small cuts of feta cheese on top to complete the dish.
Rainbow vegetable slice
This easy recipe is a delicious treat for everyone and it is packed with vegetables, so it makes for a great school snack for your kids. It is colourful as well so it is an excellent way to make children love eating their vegetables.
First, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Next place eggs, vegetables, garlic, herbs and olive oil in a bowl and mix well. Add coconut flour, salt and pepper. Spoon the mixture into a greased baking tray and bake for around 35 minutes until the top looks golden brown. Let it cool off before cutting into slices and serving can be either warm or cold, both taste delicious.
Whoever said that organic snacks always taste bland, plain and boring are definitely wrong. Most people these days know better than to serve their friends bad-tasting food, much less unhealthy and mass produced snacks.
Australia has a lot to offer to its locals and tourists alike and we are fortunate that we have many different organic produce options available. With a wide selection of organic snack options on offer, you can munch on and share these healthy eating choices with your family and friends.
Be sure to stock up on these organic snacks in your kitchen pantry or have them at the ready in your bag for a quick snack on the go. Besides the healthy benefits of organic snacks, these snacks are equally delightful to the taste buds and it won’t be long before you start hoarding these for your own pleasure.
When it comes to choosing organic snacks, there are plenty of different options to choose from. Macadamia nuts are a native eastern Australian treat (just take a look around Alstonville and Lismore) and these nuts taste delightful enough to be eaten alone or mixed in with your favourite organic salad. You can also eat these nuts with bread, lamb roasts or in fruit cakes. From appetisers to main dishes and to desserts, there is always a place for Australia’s macadamia nuts.
Liquorice or licorice is another delicious and nutritious snack favourite and there is no better choice than the all-natural and organic licorice varieties. From hard licorice types to soft eating licorice, the best tasting ones are those made from all natural and organic ground licorice root with no artificial flavours or additives.
Another great tasting organic snack are Paleo bars and these do not have to taste bland or boring. The local Aussie made Blue Dinosaur Paleo Bars have many exciting flavours to suit your taste buds, including Cacao Mint, Ginger Nut, Lamington, and Brazilian. These are all made from only the finest of raw organic ingredients, so that you can be sure that you are fueling your body with nothing but nutritious and delicious snack food.